Sesame cake is fast becoming one of the alternatives to the regular flour cakes. It is the cake made from seeds of the sesame plant, known as Sesamum indicum of the family Pedaliaceae. The sesame seeds are the most valuable parts of the sesame plant, which is known as benne in most regions of Africa, where it is grown. The sesame plant is believed to have originated from North Africa. The ancient Egyptians ground the seeds to make flour. The Chinese have also used the oil generated from the sesame seeds for well over 5000 years while the Romans used them to make bread and other pastries.
Today, sesame plants are cultivated across the world, especially in tropical and subtropical zones. As of 2018, global sesame production was worth over US$6.5 billion and has been projected to grow at a CAGR of 1.7% till 2024. The worldwide increase of health awareness has piqued interest in foods made using sesame seeds and, by extension, the demand for such products. Over 12.23 million metric tonnes were produced in 2018, with Tanzania accounting for over 22% of the volume. Sudan(12%), India (10%), Ethiopia(10%) and China(8%) are also major producers of sesame seeds. However, India has the largest export volume. On the other hand, China is the largest importer of sesame seeds, with about 327,706 metric tonnes imported every year.
Sesame seed production is also on the rise in Nigeria. Nigeria accounts for about 8% of the global output of sesame seeds in excess of about 300,000 metric tonnes per annum. Jigawa, Benue, Nassarawa and Taraba states are the major hubs of sesame seed production in the country. There is a great potential for sesame seeds and its by-products in Nigeria if the sector gets more attention than it enjoys at the moment. With the cultivation of more land for sesame seed production, financial support for local sesame seeds farmers, ease of distribution and introduction of improved mechanisms, Nigeria could see her sesame seed market grow significantly within the next few years.
As the demands for sesame seed products continue to grow exponentially in the country, existing sesame farms are falling short of supply. This growth is an open business window for businesspersons looking to invest in agro-related products. The sesame cake is by far one of the by-products of sesame seeds that attract attention, and it makes a fertile business ground. If you’re planning to invest in a lucrative sesame cake production business, here is a comprehensive guide to help you through the process.
See Also: How To Start A Lucrative Pure Water Business In Nigeria: The Complete Guide
What Is A Sesame Cake?
A sesame cake is a by-product of the sesame seeds. It is often baked with honey and can be made in different flavours ranging from vanilla to milk and lemon. The sesame cake is organic and rich in nutritional constituents, and this explains why the demand is on a rapid rise.
What Is Sesame Cake Production?
Sesame cake production describes the steps and stages involved in processing sesame seeds into the flour needed to make sesame cake. The demand for organic foods with enormous health benefits requires a massive production rate of sesame cake.
See Also: How To Start A Lucrative Palm Wine Production Business In Nigeria: The Complete Guide
Business Opportunities In Sesame Cake Production Business In Nigeria And Around The World
1). Food And Snack Production:
In the food industry, sesame cake is growing in demands. As the demands increase, so does production rate. Hotels, restaurants, bakeries, as well as interested individuals, continue to expand their business focus to accommodate the production of sesame cake. Likewise, sesame cake is produced at home for consumption. They can be used in different recipes, depending on taste and preference.
2). Distribution And Marketing:
Sesame cake provides an extra chain of distribution for distributors nationwide and worldwide. Marketers, delivery personnel and distributors find new opportunities in the production and distribution of sesame seeds.
Facts And Benefits Of Sesame Cake
- Sesame cake is derived from sesame seeds.
- Sesame seeds contain antioxidant compounds such as sesaminol, phenyl ethanol and furaneol which fight free radicals in the body.
- Sesame cake contains fatty acids which reduce the bad cholesterol in the body.
- Sesame cake can be made with various flavours.
- Sesame seeds are rich in proteins which help the growth of body tissues.
- The folic acid in sesame cake has been found to aid DNA synthesis.
- Sesame cake has a high concentration of minerals such as selenium, iron and manganese, which promote the production of red blood cells in the blood.
- Sesame seeds also have calcium constituents which promote strong bones.
- When heated, the nutty flavour of sesame seeds become stronger.
- After baking sesame cakes, toasted sesame seeds are sprinkled on them to provide more taste.
- Sesame seeds are called ’til’ in India. In Africa, they are known as ‘benne’.
- Tanzania, India, China, Nigeria, Ethiopia and Sudan are among the largest producers of sesame seeds in the world.
- In Nigeria, Jigawa, Benue, Nassarawa and Taraba states are the major hubs of sesame seed production.
- Sesame cake is used in various recipes.
- Some persons are allergic to sesame cake.
- Ancient Egyptians believed that sesame has magical powers.
- The phrase ‘open sesame’ was the code that opened the cave in the legend of Alibaba and the Forty Thieves.
- An Assyrian myth holds that the gods drank sesame wine before they created the earth.
- Sesame came into Europe from India during the first century AD.
- Some cultures believe that sesame cake treats infertility in males.
See Also: How To Start A Lucrative Shea Nut Cake Production Business In Nigeria: The Complete Guide
− Export Business −
How To Make Your First $10,000 Exporting Goods From Nigeria AND GET PAID IN DOLLARS Without Losing Any Money, GUARANTEED!
Our in-depth online export course is specifically designed to help you build a successful export business from scratch IN 90 DAYS WITHOUT LOSING ANY MONEY FROM YOUR INVESTMENTS, GUARANTEED! And in the process, show you how to make your first $10,000 from the export business within the first 3 months of finishing the course.
Click Here To Learn More >>
Types Of Sesame Cake
There aren’t any particular types of sesame cake, but there are about four types of sesame seeds, all of which can be used to make sesame cake. They are the brown sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds and red sesame seeds.
How To Start A Sesame Cake Production Business In Nigeria: Step-By-Step Guide
1). Procure Your Ingredients And Equipment:
Like any other kind of cake, you need to secure all the ingredients and equipment you need. Since you are producing in a large-scale for distribution, you need to invest in mixers, ovens, grinders, electric and cookers, among several others. Ingredients to get include sesame seeds, baking soda, aluminium foil, sugar, water supply, flavours, as well as other baking ingredients.
2). Roast Sesame Seeds:
After securing all the materials you need, roast the sesame seeds to make them dry. Roast until they turn light brown. Roasting could take about 45 minutes or more, depending on the volume. Leave it to cool after roasting.
3). Grind Sesame Seeds:
After cooling for some time, load the sesame seeds into a grinder. The volume of sesame seeds you can grind at a time depends on the size of your grinders, but it is advisable not to overload the grinders so the seeds could grind properly into a fine powder.
4). Mix All Ingredients:
This is the point where your mixer comes to work. Mix the eggs and the sugar for about five minutes. Afterwards, pour in some oil, vanilla and any other ingredients. Pour the sesame flour and baking powder and mix till it is thick.
5). Bake In An Oven:
After mixing all ingredients, prepare your cake pan by overlaying it with butter and flour. Pour the mix into the pan and load into the oven. Bake at about 170°C for 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the cake.
6). Package And Distribute:
After baking, leave the sesame cake to cool for 30 minutes. Cut into small sizes and package for distribution.
See Also: How To Start A Lucrative Egg Hatchery Business In Nigeria: The Complete Guide
Challenges Of Sesame Cake Production Business In Nigeria
- Sesame cake is still relatively unknown in Nigeria
- Some people are allergic to sesame cake.
- Poor road network for distribution.
- Lack of governmental support.
- Sesame cake production could be capital-intensive.
- Insufficient funding of researches on the benefits of sesame cake in the country.
- Lack of knowledge of recipes involving sesame cake.
- Difficulty in procuring sesame seeds.
- Absence of loan facilities for dealers in sesame seeds and its by-products.
- Sesame cake production requires lots of time and efforts.
See Also: How To Start A Lucrative Potato Flour Production Business In Nigeria: The Complete Guide
To Sum It Up
Despite its challenges in Nigeria and Africa, the market for sesame cake in Nigeria continues to expand. This is not surprising because people are beginning to realize the health benefits of sesame seeds and continue to demand the sesame cake as well as other sesame by-products. The sesame cake production business in Nigeria can be a lucrative and profitable venture to start-up, due to its vast market demand and on your ability to build a wide supply chain network. If you’re looking for a supply chain business to venture into, the sesame cake production business in Nigeria is a great option to explore.
Trying To Secure A Business Loan? Finance? Or Investment?
You can now greatly increase your chances of getting the loan/investment you need with our bank and investor ready professional MBA standard business plan writing service.
Writing a bank and investor ready professional sesame cake production business plan can be challenging. If you need a professional and affordable business plan service, StartupTipsDaily’s MBA standard professional business plan writing service is perfect for your small business.
All you have to do is request an understanding of your proposed business model, and you’d have a professional MBA standard business plan ready for you anywhere within 5 to 14 days. You can click here to get started with using StartupTipsDaily’s professional business plan writing service to create the perfect business plan that’d get accepted anywhere.