How To Start A Lucrative Pineapple Farming Business In Nigeria: The Complete Guide
Pineapples are one of the most consumed fruits in the world and amount to around 20% of the world’s production of tropical fruits. They are perishable fruits that thrive in tropical lands with plenty of sunlight and lots of rainfall throughout the year, with almost 70% of all grown pineapples eaten fresh within the country of harvest.
The global production rate of pineapples annually is around 27.92 million metric tons, with Costa Rica being the highest producer of pineapples in the world, producing over 3 million metric tons; followed by the Philippines who produces over 2.7 million metric tons and brazil who produces over 2.6 million metric tons.
Nigeria is the largest producer of pineapples in Africa and the 7th largest producer of pineapples globally, amounting for around 6% of the world’s production of pineapples with a production rate of over 1.6 million metric tons annually.
Pineapples are a fast yielding and quick turnover cash crop, and their high demand makes it a very profitable venture for investors looking to invest in a fast ripple agricultural venture.
If you’re looking to start an agribusiness with good turnover profits, starting a pineapple farming business in Nigeria, Africa, or anywhere else around the world is a great move to make.
What Is A Pineapple?
Pineapples are a tropical fruit rich in vitamins, enzymes and antioxidants. They are made of many individual berries that grow together around the central core.
What Is Pineapple Farming About?
Pineapple farming is the process of planting and harvesting Pineapples for personal consumption, commercial purposes, and international trade.
Business Opportunities In Pineapple Farming In Nigeria & Around The World
1). Source Of Food:
Pineapples have been a huge source of available and affordable food globally and are believed to be the 2nd most consumed fruit in the world.
2). Source Of Medicine:
Pineapples have a high presence of antioxidants, which helps prevent Cancer. Pineapples also contain enzymes that can aid digestion.
3). Juice Production:
Pineapple juice is one of the world’s most consumed juice; making pineapples one of the most consumed fruits in the world.
Facts And Benefits Of Pineapples
- Pineapples contain bromelain enzymes which can break down proteins
- Pineapples can be used to tenderize meat.
- Pineapples are a cluster of hundreds of drupels.
- Pineapples take approximately 18-20 months to become mature for harvest.
- Pineapples were a native to South America long before they were discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1493.
- Pineapples are the only edible fruits of its kind; the Bromeliads.
- One pineapple plant can produce only one pineapple at a time.
- Pineapples ripen faster upside down.
- Pineapples contain Disease-Fighting Antioxidants
- Pineapple enzymes help Ease digestion
- Pineapples could help reduce the risk of cancer.
- Pineapples could help Boost Immunity
- Pineapple could help ease symptoms of Arthritis.
- Pineapple could help speedup recovery after surgery or strenuous exercise.
- Brazil and Paraguay are natives to the pineapple fruit, where they were first discovered. But it also grows in Africa, especially Nigeria.
- Nigeria is the 7th largest producer of pineapples in the world.
Types Of Pineapples
1). Smooth Cayenne:
The smooth cayenne is a spineless pineapple cultivar that boasts sweet, low-fibre flesh and striped leaves. It is an exceptionally sweet variety that lacks the highly acidic, tart flavour of most pineapples
Also known as Common Rough, Queen is a compact, dwarf pineapple variety that has better tolerance for cold and disease than Smooth Cayenne. This pineapple produces dark yellow, fragrant fruits with a small core.
3). Red Spanish:
This pineapple is a robust variety grown in the West Indies, Mexico, and Venezuela. The fruits are light yellow, high in fibre and aromatic.
How To Start Pineapple Farming In Nigeria: Step By Step Guide
1). Choose a Suitable Land:
Pineapples are somewhat drought-resistant but perform best in an area with well-distributed rainfall of at least 1000mm per annum. Also, the land should be rid of stumps and ploughed in preparation for planting.
Pineapples can be grown from the crown, sucker or by their slip.
Pineapple plants depend mostly on their leaves for water and nutrients, and as such, could be planted in a nursery and transplanted to the farmland when they are about a foot tall so that you have rows of similar-sized pineapples.
Planting of pineapples is best done at the start of the rainy season or at any time in irrigated areas.
Ideally, pineapples should be planted in double row spacing of 60cm between the rows, 30cm between plants and about 120cm between double rows.
Pineapples mature in about 15-24 months depending on the variety of the pineapple. In harvesting, it is best to cut, than to break the fruit by the stalk.
Challenges Of Pineapple Farming In Nigeria
Here are some challenges that can affect starting pineapple farming in Nigeria, Africa, or many other places around the world:
- Pest and diseases
- Lack of government support
- Lack of funding for large scale production
- Lack of a highly favourable market
- Lack of highly equipped storage facilities
- Lack of efficient production mechanisms
- Not popularly known
- Absence of a vast ready market
- Poor funding of research activities
- Bush burning
- Lack of capital for large scale production
- Lack of easy access to the international market
- Instability of the international market price
- Lack of adequate widespread knowledge on how to produce high-quality products
- Lack of funds to import international standard processing machinery
- Thieves and criminals
To Sum It Up
The pineapple farming business in Nigeria can be a lucrative and profitable venture to start-up, due to its vast market demand and on your own ability to build a wide supply chain network. If you’re looking for a farming business to venture into, the pineapple farming business in Nigeria is a great option to explore.
Trying To Secure A Business Loan? Finance? Or Investment?
You can now greatly increase your chances of geting the loan/investment you need with our bank and investor ready professional MBA standard business plan writing service
Writing a bank and investor ready professional pineapple farming business plan can be challenging. If you need a professional and affordable business plan service, StartupTipsDaily’s MBA standard professional business plan writing service is perfect for your small business.
All you have to do is request an understanding of your proposed business model, and you’d have a professional MBA standard business plan ready for you in anywhere from 5 to 14 days. You can click here to get started with using StartupTipsDaily’s professional business plan writing service to create the perfect business plan that’d get accepted anywhere.