Coal tar production and supply business is a lucrative venture in Nigeria and Africa due to the abundance of coal deposits in the region. Coal tar is a black viscous liquid obtained from the destructive distillation of coal and is used in various industries, including road construction, roofing, and waterproofing. Nigeria has significant coal reserves estimated at over 2.5 billion metric tons, with deposits found in Enugu, Kogi, and Benue states. However, the coal industry in Nigeria has been largely underutilized, with most of the coal used for power generation.
Globally, the coal tar market is expected to grow due to the increasing demand for coal tar in various industries. The market is estimated to reach a value of over $14 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 4.1% from 2020 to 2027. The Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the largest market for coal tar, followed by North America and Europe. In Africa, the demand for coal tar is expected to increase, driven by the growth of the construction industry, particularly in road construction and maintenance.
In Nigeria, the coal tar production and supply business has the potential to provide employment opportunities and generate revenue for the government. There is also an opportunity for exportation, as there is a high demand for coal tar in the global market. Nigeria’s strategic location in West Africa provides easy access to other African countries, making it an ideal location for coal tar production and exportation.
However, there are challenges to the development of the coal tar industry in Nigeria and Africa, including inadequate infrastructure, environmental concerns, and a lack of investment in the industry. Despite these challenges, the coal tar production and supply business remains a promising venture in Nigeria and Africa.
What Is A Coal Tar?
Coal tar is a dark viscous liquid obtained from the destructive distillation of coal. Its scientific name is complex mixture of hydrocarbons, phenols, and heterocyclic compounds.
What Is The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria and Africa About?
Coal tar is a viscous black liquid produced by the carbonization of coal. It is a complex mixture of organic compounds that can be processed into several valuable products such as creosote oil, naphthalene, and pitch, which find application in various industries. Coal tar production and supply business involves the extraction and processing of coal tar, and the supply of the resulting products to end-users.
The production of coal tar in Nigeria and Africa is a relatively untapped industry, despite the abundance of coal reserves in the region. However, recent research has shown that the demand for coal tar products is on the rise, driven by the growing demand for industrial chemicals, construction materials, and energy. The production yield of coal tar depends on several factors, such as the quality of coal used, the processing technology, and the market demand.
Coal tar production and supply business presents an opportunity for entrepreneurs in Nigeria and Africa to tap into the growing demand for coal tar products, and leverage the region’s coal reserves. With the right equipment, technology, and market knowledge, coal tar production and supply business can be a lucrative venture, contributing to economic growth and job creation.
Benefits of The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria and Africa
- High demand: Coal tar is a highly demanded product globally and locally, with various applications in industries like construction, road making, and chemical production.
- Diverse Applications: Coal tar is a versatile product that has numerous applications, from building and construction materials to personal care products and pharmaceuticals.
- Affordable and Cost-effective: Coal tar is a cost-effective alternative to other raw materials used in various industries, making it an attractive option for businesses.
- High Profit Margins: Coal tar production and supply can generate high profits, especially when the business is well-managed and strategically located to meet the growing demand.
- Local Resource: Nigeria has significant coal tar reserves, making it a local resource for businesses in the region.
- Employment Opportunities: The coal tar production and supply business can provide employment opportunities for the local population, which can contribute to economic development.
- Export Opportunities: The production and supply of coal tar can provide opportunities for export to other countries, increasing revenue for businesses and the country.
- Environmentally Friendly: Coal tar can be a sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to other raw materials in various industries, as it is a byproduct of coal processing and can be recycled.
- Durable: Coal tar has a long shelf life and can withstand harsh weather conditions, making it an ideal material for construction and roadmaking.
- Maintenance-free: Coal tar has minimal maintenance requirements, making it a cost-effective and attractive option for businesses.
- Resistant to Chemicals: Coal tar is resistant to chemicals, making it an excellent raw material for the production of various chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
- Insulating Properties: Coal tar has excellent insulating properties, making it ideal for electrical and electronic equipment and cable insulation.
- Fire-resistant: Coal tar is fire-resistant, making it ideal for use in fireproofing and flame-retardant materials.
- Versatile Product: Coal tar can be processed into various products, such as coal tar pitch, creosote oil, and naphthalene, increasing the range of applications and revenue streams for businesses.
- Growth Potential: The demand for coal tar and its products is projected to increase globally, presenting growth potential for businesses in the industry.
Business Opportunities In The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria and Africa
- Production of roofing materials: Coal tar is used in the production of roofing materials, such as roofing shingles and tiles, which are in high demand in Nigeria and Africa.
- Production of waterproofing materials: Coal tar is also used in the production of waterproofing materials, such as membranes and coatings, which are essential in construction projects.
- Production of road surfaces: Coal tar is used in the production of road surfaces, such as asphalt and bitumen, which are needed for road construction and maintenance.
- Manufacturing of electrical insulators: Coal tar is used in the manufacturing of electrical insulators, which are used in the production of electrical equipment and appliances.
- Production of paints and coatings: Coal tar is used in the production of paints and coatings, which are used to protect surfaces from corrosion and degradation.
- Production of carbon black: Coal tar is a source of carbon black, which is used in the manufacturing of tires, ink, and other products.
- Production of synthetic dyes: Coal tar is used in the production of synthetic dyes, which are used in the textile, paper, and other industries.
- Production of synthetic drugs: Coal tar is used in the production of synthetic drugs, such as dexamethasone and lidocaine.
- Production of perfumes and cosmetics: Coal tar is used in the production of perfumes and cosmetics, such as hair dyes and skin creams.
- Production of industrial chemicals: Coal tar is used in the production of a variety of industrial chemicals, such as naphthalene, phenol, and cresols.
- Production of explosives: Coal tar is used in the production of explosives, such as TNT and picric acid.
- Production of fuel: Coal tar can be processed into fuel, such as gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel.
- Production of carbon fibers: Coal tar is used in the production of carbon fibers, which are used in the aerospace and automotive industries.
- Production of graphite: Coal tar is used in the production of graphite, which is used in the production of batteries, electrodes, and other products.
- Export opportunities: Nigeria and Africa have a significant export market for coal tar products, particularly in Asia and Europe, providing opportunities for local producers to tap into these markets and increase revenue
Facts About The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria and Africa
- Coal tar is a black, viscous liquid obtained from the destructive distillation of coal.
- It is mainly used as a source of carbon and as a raw material for the production of a variety of chemicals, including creosote, benzene, naphthalene, and phenol.
- Coal tar is also used as a sealant for roads and roofs.
- Nigeria has significant deposits of coal tar, with estimated reserves of about 2.8 billion metric tons.
- The coal tar industry in Nigeria is largely untapped, with only a few companies engaged in its production.
- The demand for coal tar is expected to increase in the coming years due to its use in the production of chemicals and other industrial applications.
- The production and supply of coal tar present a significant business opportunity in Nigeria and Africa.
- Coal tar can be produced using different methods, including the traditional process of destructive distillation and modern methods such as thermal depolymerization and carbonization.
- The production yield of coal tar varies depending on the method used and the quality of the coal used.
- Coal tar can be processed into a variety of products, including creosote, pitch, and carbon black.
- Coal tar production requires significant investment in equipment and infrastructure, making it a capital-intensive business.
- Coal tar production also requires compliance with environmental and safety regulations.
- The coal tar industry in Nigeria and Africa can create jobs and contribute to the economic development of the region.
- The industry can also promote the use of local resources and reduce dependence on imported products.
- However, the industry faces challenges such as inadequate infrastructure, lack of funding, and limited access to technology and expertise.
- The global market for coal tar is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.3% between 2020 and 2025.
- The Asia-Pacific region is the largest consumer of coal tar, followed by Europe and North America.
- The major players in the global coal tar market include Koppers, Rain Carbon Inc., JFE Chemical Corporation, and Nippon Steel Chemical.
- The coal tar industry in Nigeria and Africa can benefit from partnerships and collaborations with these global players.
- The industry can also benefit from government support and policies that promote investment and innovation.
- The production and supply of coal tar can also contribute to the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, particularly Goal 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure) and Goal 8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth).
- The industry can also promote the use of clean technologies and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- The production and supply of coal tar can also create opportunities for research and development in the field of sustainable materials.
- The industry can also promote the development of local expertise and capacity in the production of chemicals and other industrial products.
- Overall, the coal tar production and supply business presents significant opportunities for economic development, innovation, and sustainability in Nigeria and Africa.
Types Of Coal Tar Production and Supply Businesses In Nigeria and Africa
Types of Coal Tar
There are several types of coal tars used for coal tar production and supply businesses in Nigeria and Africa. These types include:
- Coal tar pitch: This type of coal tar is a thick black liquid obtained during the production of coke. It is used in the manufacturing of electrodes, roofing materials, and as a binder in asphalt products.
- Creosote oil: Creosote oil is a dark brown liquid obtained by distilling coal tar. It is used as a wood preservative and in the production of roofing materials, railway sleepers, and asphalt products.
- Anthracene oil: This type of coal tar is a yellow-green liquid obtained by distilling coal tar. It is used in the production of dyes, plastics, and synthetic resins.
- Naphthalene: Naphthalene is a white crystalline substance obtained by distilling coal tar. It is used in the production of dyes, mothballs, and as a solvent for various chemicals.
- Benzene: Benzene is a colorless liquid obtained by distilling coal tar. It is used in the production of plastics, synthetic fibers, and rubber.
- Toluene: Toluene is a colorless liquid obtained by distilling coal tar. It is used in the production of solvents, synthetic fibers, and plastics.
The different types of coal tars have varying properties and uses, which makes them suitable for different applications in the production and supply of coal tar products.
The Peak Season For The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria and Africa
The peak production, supply, and demand season for Coal Tar Production and Supply Business in Nigeria and Africa varies depending on various factors. One of the primary factors that affect the demand and supply of coal tar is the weather conditions. The production of coal tar is largely affected by the rainy season as it makes the mining and transportation of coal tar difficult. Therefore, the peak season for coal tar production is usually during the dry season, which runs from November to March. During this period, the weather is favorable, and coal tar producers can extract and transport coal tar without much difficulty.
Additionally, the demand for coal tar is usually high in the construction industry, where it is used as a key component in the production of asphalt and other construction materials. Therefore, the peak season for the demand for coal tar coincides with the construction season, which runs from March to November. During this period, the demand for construction materials is high, and as a result, the demand for coal tar also increases.
How To Start The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria and Africa: Step-By-Step Guide
Starting a coal tar production and supply business in Nigeria and Africa involves several steps, including:
- Conduct market research: This involves researching the coal tar market to identify the demand, competition, and potential customers.
- Develop a business plan: The business plan will outline the goals, objectives, financial projections, and strategies for the business.
- Secure funding: This can be done through personal savings, loans from financial institutions, or partnerships with investors.
- Register the business: Register the business with the relevant government agencies, obtain necessary permits and licenses, and open a business bank account.
- Acquire equipment and raw materials: Purchase or lease the necessary equipment, such as a distillation unit and storage tanks, and source high-quality coal tar.
- Set up the production site: Choose a suitable location, prepare the site, and install the equipment.
- Hire and train staff: Recruit and train employees to operate the equipment and manage the day-to-day operations of the business.
- Start production: Begin the production of coal tar and ensure that quality control measures are in place.
- Develop a distribution network: Establish relationships with distributors and customers to supply coal tar and increase sales.
- Implement marketing strategies: Develop effective marketing strategies to promote the business, increase brand awareness, and attract new customers.
Starting a coal tar production and supply business requires careful planning, significant investment, and a deep understanding of the industry. It is essential to conduct extensive research, develop a solid business plan, and seek expert advice to increase the chances of success.
How To Produce and Package Coal Tar In Nigeria or Africa
To produce and package Coal Tar in Nigeria and Africa, the following steps can be taken:
- Procure raw materials: Coal Tar can be produced from different types of coal, so it’s important to procure high-quality coal that will yield the best results. The coal should be sourced from reliable suppliers.
- Coal carbonization: This process involves heating the coal to high temperatures in the absence of air to produce Coal Tar. There are different methods of coal carbonization, such as low-temperature carbonization and high-temperature carbonization.
- Coal Tar Distillation: This process involves heating the Coal Tar to high temperatures and then cooling it to produce different fractions such as benzene, toluene, naphthalene, phenol, and others.
- Filtration: The Coal Tar is then filtered to remove impurities and obtain a clear liquid.
- Packaging: The Coal Tar is then packaged in containers such as drums or tankers for transportation and storage.
It’s important to ensure that the production process is carried out in a safe and environmentally friendly manner. Proper safety equipment and measures should be put in place to prevent accidents and pollution.
Types Of Equipment Used In The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria or Africa
The following is a list of equipment that can be used in the production, packaging, and supply of coal tar in Nigeria and Africa:
- Coal Tar Distillation Plant: This equipment is used for the distillation of coal tar into different fractions.
- Storage tanks: These tanks are used to store coal tar before and after packaging.
- Pumps: Pumps are used for transferring coal tar from one tank to another during the production process.
- Heat exchangers: These are used to transfer heat from one medium to another during the production process.
- Filtration equipment: Filtration equipment is used to remove impurities from the coal tar.
- Packaging machines: These are used for filling and packaging the coal tar in different quantities.
- Labeling machines: These are used for labeling the packaged coal tar.
- Weighing scales: These are used for weighing the coal tar during the packaging process.
- Sealing machines: These are used for sealing the packaged coal tar.
- Forklifts: Forklifts are used for moving the packaged coal tar to storage areas or for loading onto trucks for transportation
Target Market For The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria or Africa
- Road Construction Industry: Coal tar is widely used in the construction of roads, highways, and pavements as it helps to improve their durability and resistance to wear and tear.
- Roofing Industry: Coal tar is used as a coating material for roofing products due to its excellent water resistance and ability to withstand extreme weather conditions.
- Paint and Coating Industry: Coal tar is used as a key ingredient in the production of industrial paints and coatings due to its ability to provide protection against corrosion and erosion.
- Marine Industry: Coal tar is used as a coating material for marine structures, such as docks, piers, and ships, to protect them from corrosion and weathering.
- Chemical Industry: Coal tar is used as a raw material for the production of various chemicals, including dyes, pesticides, and pharmaceuticals.
- Power Generation Industry: Coal tar is used as a fuel in power plants to generate electricity.
- Automotive Industry: Coal tar is used as a raw material in the production of tires and other rubber products.
- Agriculture Industry: Coal tar is used as a fungicide and insecticide in the agriculture industry to protect crops and plants from pests and diseases.
- Railway Industry: Coal tar is used as a coating material for railway tracks and bridges to protect them from corrosion and wear and tear.
- Mining Industry: Coal tar is used as a lubricant and protective coating in the mining industry.
How To Market The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria or Africa
- Online platforms: Utilize social media platforms and e-commerce sites to reach a wider audience.
- Attend trade fairs: Participate in trade fairs and exhibitions to showcase your products and network with potential buyers.
- Distributors and wholesalers: Work with distributors and wholesalers who can help you reach a larger customer base.
- Cold calling: Reach out to potential customers directly through phone calls and emails.
- Print ads: Place advertisements in relevant publications such as industry magazines and newspapers.
- Radio ads: Advertise on local radio stations to reach a wider audience.
- Billboards: Use billboards in high traffic areas to create brand awareness.
- Sponsored events: Sponsor events related to the industry to increase visibility and credibility.
- Referral marketing: Encourage satisfied customers to refer others to your business.
- Word-of-mouth: Leverage word-of-mouth marketing by providing excellent products and services.
- Loyalty programs: Offer incentives for repeat customers to encourage loyalty.
- Content marketing: Create valuable content such as blog posts and videos to establish your business as a thought leader in the industry.
- Influencer marketing: Partner with influential individuals in the industry to reach their followers.
- Email marketing: Use email marketing to reach customers and promote new products.
- SEO: Optimize your website for search engines to improve visibility and drive traffic.
- Packaging design: Create visually appealing and informative packaging to attract customers.
- Product quality: Ensure that your products are of high quality to attract repeat customers.
- Competitive pricing: Offer competitive prices to attract price-sensitive customers.
- Special promotions: Offer special promotions such as discounts and buy-one-get-one-free deals to attract new customers.
- Trade-in programs: Offer trade-in programs to encourage customers to upgrade their products.
- Bundling products: Bundle products together to offer more value to customers.
- Customer service: Provide excellent customer service to build loyalty and encourage repeat business.
- Local partnerships: Partner with local businesses to increase visibility and reach new customers.
- Online reviews: Encourage satisfied customers to leave positive reviews on online review sites.
- Direct mail: Use direct mail campaigns to reach potential customers who may not be active online.
Challenges Of The Coal Tar Production and Supply Business In Nigeria and Africa
- Fluctuating Market Demand: Coal tar production and supply business in Nigeria and Africa faces a challenge of fluctuating market demand due to factors such as economic instability, price variations, and changes in consumer preferences.
- High Capital Requirement: The production and supply of coal tar require significant capital investment, which may be difficult for small-scale businesses to raise.
- Environmental Regulations: The coal tar production and supply business is subject to environmental regulations, and compliance with such regulations may increase production costs.
- Availability of Raw Materials: The availability of raw materials, such as coal, is essential for the production of coal tar. However, the inconsistent supply of coal in Nigeria and Africa poses a significant challenge to the coal tar production and supply business.
- Transportation: Transportation is a significant challenge in the coal tar production and supply business in Nigeria and Africa due to the poor condition of roads, lack of infrastructure, and high transportation costs.
- Lack of Skilled Workforce: The production and supply of coal tar require skilled labor, and the lack of a skilled workforce in Nigeria and Africa can pose a challenge to the business.
- Foreign Competition: The coal tar production and supply business in Nigeria and Africa faces competition from foreign markets that may produce coal tar at lower costs, making it difficult for local businesses to compete.
- Fluctuating Prices: The price of coal tar is dependent on market forces and is subject to fluctuation, making it challenging for businesses to forecast revenues.
- Limited Market Access: Limited market access, such as restrictions on exports, can limit the growth potential of the coal tar production and supply business in Nigeria and Africa.
- Lack of Government Support: The coal tar production and supply business in Nigeria and Africa may face a lack of government support in the form of policies, subsidies, or funding.
- Competition from Alternative Products: The coal tar production and supply business in Nigeria and Africa may face competition from alternative products that serve the same purpose as coal tar.
- Dependence on Weather Conditions: Weather conditions such as rain, high humidity, or low temperatures can impact the production and supply of coal tar, leading to supply chain disruptions.
- High Operating Costs: The production and supply of coal tar may require high operating costs due to the need for specialized equipment, machinery, and skilled labor.
- Limited Infrastructure: Limited infrastructure in Nigeria and Africa can pose a challenge to the coal tar production and supply business, especially in remote locations.
- Inadequate Power Supply: Inadequate power supply in Nigeria and Africa can pose a challenge to the coal tar production and supply business, leading to interruptions in production.
- Quality Control: The production and supply of coal tar require strict quality control measures, and failure to adhere to these measures can lead to a decline in product quality and customer satisfaction.
- Limited Financing Options: The coal tar production and supply business may face a challenge of limited financing options, especially for small and medium-sized businesses.
- Lack of Market Information: The coal tar production and supply business may face a challenge of limited market information, making it difficult to make informed decisions.
- Inadequate Storage Facilities: Inadequate storage facilities can pose a challenge to the coal tar production and supply business, leading to spoilage, contamination, or damage to the product.
- Dependence on Export Markets: The coal tar production and supply business in Nigeria and Africa may depend on export markets, making it vulnerable to global market fluctuations and geopolitical risks.
- Limited Technical Expertise: The coal tar production and supply business may require specialized technical expertise, which may be limited in Nigeria and Africa.
- Limited Research and Development: Limited research and development can pose a challenge to the coal tar production and supply business, leading to a lack of innovation
To Sum It Up
Coal Tar Production and Supply Business in Nigeria and Africa is a potentially lucrative venture with a wide range of applications in various industries. As discussed, coal tar is a by-product of coal processing, and it has numerous benefits, including its use in the production of materials like plastics, roofing materials, and waterproofing products, among others.
To succeed in the Coal Tar Production and Supply Business in Nigeria and Africa, it is essential to have a well-thought-out business plan, access to funding, and a reliable supply chain. Entrepreneurs need to understand the market, the competition, and how to navigate challenges to succeed.
The challenges of the business, such as government policies, environmental regulations, and the need for specialized equipment and expertise, should be addressed with the utmost attention to detail. With the right strategies, entrepreneurs can overcome these challenges and establish a thriving business in Coal Tar Production and Supply in Nigeria and Africa.
In summary, Coal Tar Production and Supply Business in Nigeria and Africa presents significant opportunities for growth and success. With the right mindset, dedication, and a willingness to learn, entrepreneurs can take advantage of these opportunities and establish successful businesses.
What are your thoughts on how to start a Coal Tar Production and Supply Business in Nigeria and Africa? Let me know by leaving a comment below.
An Important Point
Finding genuine Coal Tar suppliers in Lagos or Nigeria that can deliver is usually a problem. Most times a lot of Coal Tar suppliers in Lagos, Nigeria fill in the clients with promises of delivery but never meet up, either because of the lack of finance or their inability to successfully broker a Coal Tar supply deal.
Startup Tips Daily Media, through her sister company, Globexia, supplies Coal Tar, Bitumen, Low Pour Fuel Oil (LPFO), diesel (AGO), PMS, and DPK to organisations and tank farms.
If you need Coal Tar suppliers in Lagos, Nigeria for a monthly delivery, we’ve got you covered. If you need Coal Tar suppliers in Lagos, Nigeria for regular Coal Tar supplies to private and public organisations, we can fully cover your needs.
Whether you’re in any part of Nigeria like Calabar, Port Harcourt, Kaduna, Lagos, or are in the West African coast in countries like Ghana, Cameroon, Benin Republic, and more, and need Coal Tar suppliers to cover your Coal Tar needs, Startup Tips Daily Media, through her sister company can cover all your Coal Tar supplies.
Professional Due Diligence Checks In Nigeria By Globexia
International buyers are always wary of doing business with Nigerian based businesses because of the high risk of disappointments either in the form of time wasted or money lost, and as such, are highly sensitive of any organisation that presents them a trade offer.
To curb this problem and help international buyers make comfortable and confident trade decisions, Startup Tips Daily, through her sister company, Globexia, has set up an in-depth due diligence check consulting service that will help international buyers get in-depth information on any organisation looking to do business with them. Some of the information the international buyers stand to gain from the in-depth due diligence exercise that will be carried out by Globexia’s team of experienced lawyers in Nigeria are:
- Verification of Company Registration
- Verification of Export Licence
- Verification of Export Activity
- Verification of Past Certificates of Origin
- Verification of Past & Present Bill of Ladings
- Verification of International Passport / Driver’s Licence of The Exporter
- Verification of Bank Verification Number (BVN)
- Verification of Tax Documents
- Verification of Financial Health of The Company
- Verification of Mining Licence
- Physical Verification of Office Address With Pictures & Videos
- Physical Verification of Mining Site With Pictures & Videos
- Full List of Registered Company Directors
And much more based on the client’s requirements.
You can read more about the service here.
If you simply want general commodity trade consulting in Nigeria spanning through Due diligence & proper verifications of both parties, understanding the entire Nigerian commodity trading industry, identifying and completing all due trade registrations, clearing & forwarding of the commodities, market research/feasibility study reports, and much more, Globexia Limited is the right partner to talk to.
You can call +2348080888162 or email [email protected]
Trying To Secure A Business Loan? Finance? Or Investment?
You can now greatly increase your chances of geting the loan/investment you need with our bank and investor ready professional MBA standard business plan writing service
Writing a bank and investor ready professional COAL TAR PRODUCTION AND SUPPLY business plan can be challenging. If you need a professional and affordable business plan service, StartupTipsDaily’s MBA standard professional business plan writing service is perfect for your small business.
All you have to do is request an understanding of your proposed business model, and you’d have a professional MBA standard business plan ready for you in anywhere from 5 to 14 days. You can click here to get started with using StartupTipsDaily’s professional business plan writing service to create the perfect business plan that’d get accepted anywhere.