How To Start A Lucrative Wheat Farming Business In Nigeria: The Complete Guide
Wheat is one of the three most important food staples in the world and a second major source of calories after rice. It is majorly consumed in many countries around the world as it is the best of cereal foods and provides more nourishment for humans than any other food source.
Wheat production and trade has constantly been on the rise, making it more traded than all other crops combined.
Currently, while the local demand for wheat stands at 6 million metric tons yearly, the total local production of wheat in Nigeria is within the region of 60,000 metric tons, thus leading to over-dependence on importation.
Even more interesting, the global production rate for wheat seats at 755 million metric tonnes with the European union as the leading wheat producer, while the global demand is estimated to be almost 800 million metric tonnes.
If you want to start a profitable agro-business with a huge focus on local and international trade, wheat farming in Nigeria is a great place to start.
What Is Wheat?
Wheat is one of the several species of cereal grasses of the genus Triticum, which is expansively cultivated for its edible seed. It is an important source of carbohydrates, and when eaten as a whole grain, is a source of dietary fibre and multiple nutrients.
What Is Wheat Farming?
Wheat farming is the complete process that involves the planting and harvesting of wheat, (ranging from picking the right seed to finding the right soil), for personal consumption, commercial purposes, and international trade.
Business Opportunity in Wheat Farming
Business opportunities in wheat farming in Nigeria are numerous. Some include:
1). Flour Production:
Wheat is Milled to produce flour used for a variety of other products (bread, cakes, noodles, pasta), etc
2). Live Stock Feed Production:
Wheat is used as a source of feed for livestock and aquatic animals
3). Production Of Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverage:
Wheat is used as a base product for various alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
4). Source Of Food:
Wheat is an important food staple and is a recipe for various food delicacies.
Wheat is also used for the production of different food supplements, amongst other uses.
Facts And Benefits Of Wheat
- Wheat is grown on more land area in the world than any other food crop (220.4 million hectares as at 2014).
- Wheat is traded more than any other crop in the world.
- Wheat is the world’s leading source of vegetable protein in human food, with about 13% of protein, which is high compared to other cereals
- There are around 30,000 wheat varieties of 14 species grown throughout the world.
- Nearly $50 billion worth of wheat is globally traded annually.
- Wheat controls obesity and reduces weight loss
- Wheat is an excellent source of energy
- Wheat is high in fibre and helps alleviate constipation, nausea, etc
- Wheat boosts digestive processes and overall metabolism
- Wheat is rich in lutein it helps improve eye health
- Wheat promotes healthy hair and protects it from damages
- Wheat helps prevent heart attacks
- Wheat prevents digestive disorders
- Wheat is rich in vitamin E and Zinc, and so, it helps maintain healthy skin
- Wheat helps protect the body against coronary disease
- Wheat helps prevent childhood asthma
- Wheat potentially reduces the risk of cancer
How To Start Wheat Farming In Nigeria: Step By Step Guide
The steps to starting wheat farming in Nigeria are:
1). Choose The Right Location:
By research, the best areas to grow wheat are situated in the northern states of Nigeria because of the soil type and favourable climatic conditions.
Regions that wheat grows well in have an average of 500-1200 millimetres of rainfall yearly.
2). Process Of Farming:
If the field has been previously used for farming purposes, smooth out the soil and dig long trenches using a shovel or a commercial wheat drill attached to a tractor to plough the field and dig long narrow furrows.
A moderate quantity of natural manure to fertilize the soil and ensure proper growth of the wheat stalks should be used.
Most importantly, the wheat stalks should be properly watered, especially during the dry seasons.
3). Harvesting And Seed Storage:
Ensure the wheat is mature enough before harvesting, as immature wheat seeds would reduce quality.
The first sign of readiness for harvest is the colour. Look for spikes with no traces of green left. Also, the seed heads will start to nod or bow on the stem when they are ready to harvest.
After harvesting, the wheat should be stored in a cool and dry environment to maintain its freshness and keep away pests.
Challenges Of Wheat Farming In Nigeria
Some of the challenges of wheat farming in Nigeria include:
- It can be difficult and time-consuming
- Lack of access to good-quality seeds
- Pest and Diseases
- Lack of adequate knowledge and technology
- Lack of adequate farmland to allow crop rotation
- Poor funding of research activities
- Pest and diseases
- Bush burning
- Lack of highly efficient storage facilities for the unprocessed nuts
- Lack of capital for large scale production
- Lack of easy access to the international market by most farmers in Nigeria
- Instability of the international market price of Wheat
- Lack of adequate government assistance
- Lack of adequate widespread knowledge on how to produce high-quality In Nigeria
- Lack of funds to import international standard processing machinery into Nigeria
- Thieves and criminals
- Importation of the crop
- Lack of highly efficient storage facilities
- Lack of availability of high breed seedling
To Sum It Up
Wheat as the second most important food crop in the world, traded globally more than all other food crops poses a lucrative opportunity for new and existing agropreneurs to venture into
In terms of its local economic value and the production deficit in Nigeria, the local demand for wheat is rising fast, creating an easy path to success for entrepreneurs looking to venture into wheat farming in Nigeria.
Trying To Secure A Business Loan? Finance? Or Investment?
You can now greatly increase your chances of geting the loan/investment you need with our bank and investor ready professional MBA standard business plan writing service
Writing a bank and investor ready professional Wheat farming business plan can be challenging. If you need a professional and affordable business plan service, StartupTipsDaily’s MBA standard professional business plan writing service is perfect for your small business.
All you have to do is request an understanding of your proposed business model, and you’d have a professional MBA standard business plan ready for you in anywhere from 5 to 14 days. You can click here to get started with using StartupTipsDaily’s professional business plan writing service to create the perfect business plan that’d get accepted anywhere.