How To Start Ginger Cake Production In Nigeria: The Complete Guide
Ginger is a flowering plant that originated in Asia. It is believed to be among the healthiest and most delicious spices on earth. It belongs to the Zingiberacea family and is closely related to turmeric, cardamom, and galangal. Ginger is commonly used as a spice. Ginger dates back around 5000 years when Ancient Chinese Philosopher Confucius celebrated its healing power, and to the Romans, it was a potent symbol of wealth and fertility. Ginger and ginger-based products are increasingly becoming popular for their added value and benefits.
The total market worth of ginger as of the third quarter of 2020 was $3.4 billion and it has been estimated to grow to about $4.8 by 2027 at a CAGR of 6.1%. China ($30.5m), India ($12m), Germany ($9.3m), Netherlands ($6.1m), and Vietnam ($2.3m) are some of the biggest exporters of ginger across the world. On the flip side, the United States, Japan, Netherlands and Pakistan import the largest volumes of ginger per annum.
Nigeria is among the world’s largest producers of ginger (FAO, 2016). The West African country produces an estimate of 532,000 metric tonnes of ginger annually and has a 14% share in total global production, with an anticipated CAGR of 6%. According to Nigeria Export statistics, 23% of the country’s GDP comes from ginger export. Food and confectionaries companies use ginger for biscuits, drinks, sweets, and of course cakes, among others. The oil of ginger is also extracted for drugs, perfumes and foods.
What Is Ginger Cake?
Ginger cake refers to a broad category of baked foods typically flavoured with ginger. Ginger cakes are like typical cakes; the only difference is the change in taste and flavour. Ginger cake is also known as gingerbread.
What Is Ginger Cake Production Business?
Ginger cake production describes the steps and process involved in commercializing the production of ginger cake. These include production, marketing and distribution, among others.
Business Opportunities Associated With Ginger Cake Production In Nigeria And Across The World
1). Perfume Production:
Ginger is an essential of perfumes, thanks to its unique natural fragrance. The perfume and fragrance industry has relied on ginger since the beginning of time. Demeter Fragrance Black ginger and Ralph Lauren big pony 3 are examples of companies that use ginger in their perfumes.
2). Ginger Farming:
Ginger is a cash crop that serves several industrial purposes, including food and snack production, medications, cosmetics, etc. Farmers of ginger plants enjoy constant demands from several companies and generate lots of revenue as a result.
3). Ginger Cake Distribution:
Another lucrative enterprise business related to the ginger cake production business is the distribution and marketing of the ginger cake. Hotels, restaurants and event planners have to meet their clients and customers’ quest for ginger cake, so they’re constantly in demand of ginger cake supplies. This leaves a business opportunity for young agile individuals who can promptly distribute ginger cake.
Facts And Benefits Of Ginger Cake
- Ginger cakes are mood influencers.
- Ginger contains gingerol it aids in digestion, reduces nausea, and helps fight flu and the common cold.
- Ginger has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
- Ginger was first discovered in southeast Asia
- Ginger cakes can be served on occasions like wedding, birthdays, thanksgiving and Christmas.
- A ginger plant can grow up to a height of 4 ft
- Ginger aids blood regulation
- The ginger tree produces beautiful clusters of white and pink flower buds that bloom into a yellow flower. It is often used to landscape around houses.
- There are 80 calories in 3.5 ounces of ginger
- Ginger reduces hypertension, DNA breakage, nausea, migraines, inflammation, etc.
- Ginger was seen as a symbol of authority by the ancient Romans.
- China, India, Germany, Netherlands and Vietnam are the biggest exporters of ginger all over the world.
- According to statistics, 23% of Nigeria’s GDP comes from ginger export.
Types Of Ginger Cake
1). Jamaican Ginger Cake:
The Jamaican ginger cake is a special treat made with plain flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice, chopped ginger stem, soda, full-fat milk, black treacle, golden syrup, dark muscovado, sugar, salted butter, salt, and egg.
2). Rhubarb And Ginger Upside-Down Ginger Cake:
This is a version of the famous upside-down ginger cake. It is a lightly spiced cake made with beautiful red rhubarb, caramel topping, almond buttermilk, eggs, oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar, ginger stem and syrup, flour, unsalted butter, sugar, salt, etc.
3). Gingerbread Bundt Cake:
The gingerbread bundt cake is made with all-purpose flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic cloves, butter, sugar, salt, egg, sour cream, whole milk, and vanilla extract.
4). Rhubarb And Ginger Cake:
This loaf cake is easy to make. The sponge cake is made with a hint of ginger speckled throughout with warming chunks of stem ginger and tangy rhubarb and other pastry ingredients.
How To Start A Ginger Cake Production Business In Nigeria: A Step-By-Step Guide
1). Getting Ingredients And Equipment:
The first step is to acquire the necessary items. Ingredients may differ depending on the type of ginger cake in question. For example, some of the ingredients needed for a ginger sponge cake are as follows:
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour
- 200g/7oz sugar
- One teaspoon ground ginger
- One teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 55g/2oz margarine, plus extra for greasing
- One free-range egg, beaten
- Two tablespoons golden syrup
- 240ml\9fl oz hoot water
- Preheat the oven to 180C\350F
- Grease and line a 28x18cm/11×7 in a baking tin with baking paper
- Mix the flour, ginger, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Mix the margarine until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add egg, syrup, and hot water into the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are properly married.
- Pour the mixture into the tin that has already been prepared
- Bake in an oven of 180C for 35-40 minutes, or until golden-brown and the top is springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- After cooling, cut into squares.
NB: Add a little extra ginger if you like your ginger cake quite spicy.
Challenges Of Ginger Cake Production Business In Nigeria
- Difficulty in raising startup cost
- Low shelf life
- Difficulty in distributing ginger cake
- Poor road network for distribution
- The ginger cake is not widely accepted as other forms of cake.
- Ginger is not always readily available in the market
- Possible allergies to ginger limits the market demand.
To Sum It Up
The increasing awareness of the health benefits of ginger puts the ginger cake production business in a positive light as far as demand and business success are concerned. The ginger cake production business in Nigeria can be a lucrative and profitable venture to start-up, due to its vast market demand and on your ability to build a wide network. If you’re looking for a lucrative business to venture into, the ginger cake production business in Nigeria is a great option to explore.
Trying To Secure A Business Loan? Finance? Or Investment?
You can now greatly increase your chances of getting the loan/investment you need with our bank and investor ready professional MBA standard business plan writing service.
Writing a bank and investor ready professional ginger cake production business plan can be challenging. If you need a professional and affordable business plan service, StartupTipsDaily’s MBA standard professional business plan writing service is perfect for your small business.
All you have to do is request an understanding of your proposed business model, and you’d have a professional MBA standard businesses plan ready for you anywhere within 5 to 14 days. You can click here to get started with using StartupTipsDaily’s professional business plan writing service to create the perfect business plan that’d get accepted anywhere.