How To Start A Lucrative Fruit Salad Production Business In Nigeria: The Complete Guide
Fruits account for a considerable fraction of the world’s agricultural output. In 2017, the fruits supply for Nigeria was about 55.8 kg per capita per year. Although Nigeria’s fruits supply fluctuated substantially in recent years, it decreased during the 1968 – 2017 period.
A fruit salad is a simple appetizer that is packed with many different sliced fruits with a lot of healthy benefits and could be eaten casually/frequently at home or served at parties and picnics.
Mixing various fruits together for consumption is one of the most healthy ways of consuming various vitamins, and as a result, fruit salads sell in very high volumes at various fruit stands as passersby who love purchasing fruits tend to always buy them.
With a local and global large population that consumes fruits, especially fruit salads on a daily basis, starting a fruit salad production business in Nigeria, Africa, or anywhere around the world is a great venture to embark.
Here’s how to start a fruit salad production business in Nigeria:
What Is A Fruit Salad?
Fruit salad is a meal consisting of various kinds of sliced fruits, which can also sometimes be served in a liquid form (either in their juices) or a syrup.
What Is Fruit Salad Production About?
Fruit salad production is the process of making a fruit salad. It entails the selection of good fruits, getting a good safe location for the processing, processing the fruits to salads, packaging the fruit salad , and marketing it.
Business Opportunities in Fruit Salad Production
1). Source of Food:
Fruit salad is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. The World Health Organisation, along with other health governing bodies recommends 7 servings of fruits & vegetables, which represents 30% of our balanced diet.
Fruit salads make the option of eating a variety of fruits and vegetables at a go possible.
2). Food Supplements:
Because of the high presence of vitamins and minerals present in the fruits used in the production of these salads, fruit salads are usually prescribed to boost your immune system and help deficiencies in vitamins and minerals.
Facts and Benefits of Fruit Salad
- Fresh fruit salad is easy to make based on individual preferences
- Fruits can be chosen to prepare the food salad based on their nutritional values, sweetness and health benefits and colours.
- Fruit salad helps to sweeten your taste bud.
- Fruit salad is highly consumed in different parts of the world
- Fruits contain fibre; they aid in digestion even after meals
- Fruit salads can be served In different forms as an appetizer or a dessert
- When served as a dessert or an appetizer, fruit salad is sometimes called fruit cocktail or fruit cup.
- A high intake of fruit can help reduce obesity and maintain a healthy weight, lower cholesterol, and lower blood pressure
- Fruits contain phytochemicals or plant chemicals. These biologically active substances can help in protection from some diseases
- All fruits are healthy, but some are even healthier than others.
Types of Fruit Salads
There are many types of fruit salad globally, ranging from (no nuts, marshmallows, or dressing) to the moderately sweet to the sweet. There are so many recipes for fruit salad that contain various kinds of fruit, or that use different kinds of sauce other than the fruit’s juice or syrup.
Common types of fruits that are easily available include:
- Pears and apples
- Citrus – oranges, mandarins, limes and grapefruits
- Stone fruit – nectarines, peaches, apricots and plums
- Tropical and exotic – mangoes and bananas
- Berries – raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, kiwifruit, and passionfruit
- Melons – watermelons, rockmelons, and honeydew melons
- Tomatoes and avocados
How To Start Fruit Salad Production In Nigeria: Step By Step Guide
1). Purchasing Good Fruits:
Fruits have a high tendency to spoil quickly. They are raw and perishable, so they lose their freshness each passing day. In making fruit salad, the first step is the selection of good fruits. Commonly used fruits in making fruit salads include mangoes, pawpaws, bananas, apples, pineapples, watermelons, strawberries, grapes, carrots, cucumbers, and much more.
2). Processing the Fruit Salad:
Equipment used in the processing of fruit salads includes a knife and a bowl of water.
The fruits to be used are first washed, then cut into small sizes. Depending on the taste, evaporated milk or yoghurt could be added.
3). Packaging and Preserving:
The fruit salad is packaged in a takeaway plate with a tooth pick attached to it. They are preserved in coolers or refrigerators.
Challenges Of The Fruit Salad Production Business In Nigeria
Here are some challenges that can affect starting a fruit salad production business in Nigeria, Africa, or many other places around the world:
- Lack of government support
- Lack of funding for large scale production
- Perishable nature of fruits
- Health and safety-related risks associated with the processing
- Good location for business
- Scarcity of some fruits at different seasons
- Lack of highly equipped storage facilities
- Lack of efficient production mechanisms
- Poor funding of research activities
- Bush burning
- Lack of capital for large scale production
- Thieves and criminals
To Sum It Up
The fruit salad production business in Nigeria can be a lucrative and profitable venture to start-up, due to its vast market demand and on your own ability to build a wide supply chain network. If you’re looking for a fruit processing business to venture into, the fruit salad production business in Nigeria is a great option to explore.
Trying To Secure A Business Loan? Finance? Or Investment?
You can now greatly increase your chances of geting the loan/investment you need with our bank and investor ready professional MBA standard business plan writing service
Writing a bank and investor ready professional fruit salad production business plan can be challenging. If you need a professional and affordable business plan service, StartupTipsDaily’s MBA standard professional business plan writing service is perfect for your small business.
All you have to do is request an understanding of your proposed business model, and you’d have a professional MBA standard business plan ready for you in anywhere from 5 to 14 days. You can click here to get started with using StartupTipsDaily’s professional business plan writing service to create the perfect business plan that’d get accepted anywhere.